The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days. The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Minor Disaster !!

Day 4, and I think I've just learnt by personal experience what it might mean when they say that a racehorse has broken down!
Today I set out to do my 10 kilometres walking as planned, and somewhere about 7 kms it all went wrong for me. I had a sciatic nerve problem in my left buttock and down the thigh many years ago. It was dealt to by many visites to a brilliant masseuse in Auckland.
Today it felt as though it was striking again. A bit of discomfort to begin with, and the realisation that my left foot was flapping down rather than being a firm step as the right one was. This has happened before and I've considered that it was due to my left leg being a wee bit shorter than my right one. (To explain a bit - my lower spine was cracked in a motorcycle accident in Scotland in March 1964, and I've suffered some spinal problems from time to time, but over the many years I've learned to recognise most of them and deal to them, usually by lying flat on bed for a couple of days).
By the time I was at 7 kms tday, I was close to limping and definitely slowing down although I was trying to fight against it.
Shortly before I reached the 8 km point of my 2-km circuit, I knew I would be stupid to try to walk further, and so I quit at 8 kms. Time was some 5 minutes more than my time for 8 kms yesterday.
So, I have to think tonight what I should best do to keep this walking training going. I know that I walked 30 kms non-stop in October of 2006 as part of a local charity fundraiser, so I know that today's performance can be overlooked more or less, but also I have to consider slowing down for the first 6 or more kms tomorrow (if I can walk that far tomorrow - I'm sure I can) in order to complete 10 kms regardless of the time it takes. At this stage the daily distances are more important then the times.

David.

1 comment:

Littlelou said...

Good work on getting your to do blog together! Sorry however to hear of the aches and pains..a minor hiccup I'm sure. Take it easy.