The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days. The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Where Have I Been All This Time?

It's amazing to see that I haven't posted here for over a week! Not that I've been lazy - far from it.
I've had a few problems with my walking. Only when a sticky pl;aster I was tryiny to introduce to the inside of one of my shoes failed to go where I wanted it to go, and stuck to the wrong part of the inner sole, did I realise what it was that was destroying my feet. As I pulled the failed stcky patch out, the whole inner sole came away, and I could see that I had all but worn a hole in it at the ball of the foot. I inspected the other shoe. This was why I was getting bad blisters.
The remedy was to rest my blisters until I could walk comfortably on them again. Then new shoes - I had bought 3 pairs for price of 2 in a sale a couple of years ago, and I'm now using the 3rd pair. However, that hasn't solved the problem entirely, because now I've got cut heels instead of blistered balls (of my feet, sillies!). But that is progress.
Another problem I've had is that when our visitors were here from the U.K. we took them on what must be one of the sunniest days we've ever had, to Whakatane to see part of the Tuna Tournament one Saturday. There was also a craft market on the grassy riverside reserve, so we spent a lot of time there. Foolishly, thinking more about our visitors than myself, I'd forgotten to apply sunblock and I wasn't wearing a hat. Result? Sunburn. Bad? Well, let me say I could not dare to wash my face for about 3 days!!
As well as that, I've been, and am, very busy sending emails to local authorities and universities in Britain seeking free overnight sites for our vehicle and caravan. AS I'm saying in these emails, in our budget we have - "Site fees 130 nights @ £17 (perhaps some will be free?) £2,210". Considering that this amount is one third of what we now have to find before I can get on my way to London, it's worth spending a lot of time on!
At present, I'm sending to the local authorities in order of our planned route from London, and for those of you who have time to look at my maps, I'm currently sending to Sandringham.
The great news is that when I got out of bed this morning and swithed on computer, there was a marvellous response from the first town out from London, Brentwood. I've been given a website address re a camp in Brentwood, and I'm off to look at it right now, hoping to find an email address for it that I can use.

3 comments:

Littlelou said...

nice to se you back..good luck with progress

Susan Harwood said...

I expect you've mentioned it somewhere, earlier in your blog, . . . but I keep being puzzled about why you are planning to walk round Britain . . . and not somewhere 'closer to home'?

TartanWonder said...

Thank you, Louise.

Susan, It's Britain rather than New Zealand, because when I was coming out of drug-induced coma after surgery in 1997, a voice in my head was telling me I must walk from London to Edinburgh to complete my recovery! I'm not religious, so I took it that my subconscious was telling me something about my body or mind's needs(?)
Then Peter came into the story, and between us the walk became an around-Britain one.
The bombshell that has just hit me is that Peter has let me know yesterday that he will not be able to do the walk with me. For reasons not connected to anything he and I have planned.
Sadly, it looks as though the support vehicle and caravan he was supplying has left the picture, so I'm back to square one on that one.